Demi Grace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Fleur de Lis logo: keep, lose, change-to-what?

+18
Lyd_lud
Vulf
Halfling
Nia Onyx
rainingsand
KokoroComplex
Raising Cain
rockerchick1378
SlippingStar
enlightenmentachieved
misskooky
Corinius
Smiley Tom
hexaquark
epochryphal
mel
Arcanine
Aisling
22 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Should we lose, keep, or change the fleur as our logo?

The Fleur de Lis logo: keep, lose, change-to-what? - Page 3 Vote_lcap46%The Fleur de Lis logo: keep, lose, change-to-what? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 46% 
[ 17 ]
The Fleur de Lis logo: keep, lose, change-to-what? - Page 3 Vote_lcap3%The Fleur de Lis logo: keep, lose, change-to-what? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
The Fleur de Lis logo: keep, lose, change-to-what? - Page 3 Vote_lcap19%The Fleur de Lis logo: keep, lose, change-to-what? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 7 ]
The Fleur de Lis logo: keep, lose, change-to-what? - Page 3 Vote_lcap5%The Fleur de Lis logo: keep, lose, change-to-what? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]
The Fleur de Lis logo: keep, lose, change-to-what? - Page 3 Vote_lcap27%The Fleur de Lis logo: keep, lose, change-to-what? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 10 ]

Total Votes : 37

The Fleur de Lis logo: keep, lose, change-to-what? - Page 3 Empty Re: The Fleur de Lis logo: keep, lose, change-to-what?

Post by GrayJim Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:21 am

Unfortunately I don't have a scanner and am currently immobile due to the depths of snow (and a rear wheel drive truck), aaaaaand I have no understanding of Pshop, so I would have to paint something, take a picture, and figure out a way to attach the file. I'm not good at technology. Me Caveman. Wink

As for the Cube, I'm thinking 3/4 top-down view, with black, gray, purple, and white on the squares. If anyone is a Photoshop wizard, I imagine it would easy to do. It would be difficult doing it by hand.
GrayJim
GrayJim

http://www.kirkwirk.com

Back to top Go down

The Fleur de Lis logo: keep, lose, change-to-what? - Page 3 Empty Re: The Fleur de Lis logo: keep, lose, change-to-what?

Post by Halfling Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:25 am

Toshop master I'm not, but let's say Toshop apprentice lol. I'm gonna try smth as you said and post the result. It was more about the spade I wanted a drawing cuz' I'm not sure I see clearly what you mean^^

Halfling
Conversationalist

Back to top Go down

Post by GrayJim Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:36 am

I mean a black Ace of Spades, from a deck of cards, with gray, white, and purple swirling within its boundaries.
GrayJim
GrayJim

Back to top Go down

Post by Halfling Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:45 am

It's quickly (and badly) done but that's the idea isn't it ?
I like the rubik's cube idea as it gets the idea of the possible evolution of things, variety of combinations, and also a kind of complexity.

The Fleur de Lis logo: keep, lose, change-to-what? - Page 3 Rubiks10

Ok for the ace of spade, I didn't know what "swirl" meant, that's why I was confused. (english isn't my mother langage)

edit : oh and I love the fact that the picture I used is one of a rubik's cube for blind people.

Halfling
Conversationalist

Back to top Go down

Post by GrayJim Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:50 am

I LOVE IT!

By swirl I mean ribbons of gray, black, purple, and white 'swirling' around inside the boundaries of the spade shape, like if you took a paintbrush and 'swirled' the different colors of paint around so that they overlapped and blended in certain areas, but remained separate in others. It's difficult to explain in words. I need to get some purple paint and take a stab at it myself.
GrayJim
GrayJim

Back to top Go down

Post by Halfling Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:40 pm

I look forward to see your painting ! Seems nice.

Halfling
Conversationalist

Back to top Go down

Post by GrayJim Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:41 pm

I don't know how to copy and paste your Rubik's cube to AVEN, but I think everyone should see it. If you're a member, could you post the image in the Open Mic forum? You take credit for the work, but credit GrayJim for the idea. Wink
GrayJim
GrayJim

Back to top Go down

Post by Halfling Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:50 pm

I don't know AVEN, so I'm not member, but you can copy the image by putting this link in the other forum :
https://i.servimg.com/u/f55/11/87/28/36/rubiks10.jpg

Smile

Halfling
Conversationalist

Back to top Go down

Post by GrayJim Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:34 pm

Done. Thank you. Smile
GrayJim
GrayJim

Back to top Go down

Post by Aisling Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:28 am

Loving the Rubik's Cube conceptually, but we recommend that you guys double check that you aren't stomping on somebody else's copyright, either with the use of a Rubik's Cube image in the first place, or with the use of the specific stock image that you edited in PhotoShop. C&D orders are not our cup of tea.
Aisling
Aisling
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Halfling Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:43 am

The image isn't made for being a new logo or whatever, it's just used to illustrate what could be done... I didn't remove any copyright written on the picture, which was downloadable so it can't be "copyrighted"... o_O Plus, it's not an art related picture (which would get an author right). It's like taking on internet a picture of a car and editing it to change its color and all, if it's not a personnal image or one of an artist, it doesn't get any copyright, does it ?!

Halfling
Conversationalist

Back to top Go down

Post by Alowishes Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:54 pm

The fleur currently doesn't bother me at all. I personally think it's really pretty and as a symbol of either sexuality or chastity (depending on the culture) I feel it already speaks plenty to the general idea that demisexuality deals with requiring an emotional (not necessarily romantic) connection before feelings of sexual atrraction can manifest. If you were to combine 'sexuality' and 'chastity' into a symbol you'd find yourself with a chastity belt, which kind of works the same way xD that sexual attraction/desire is "locked up" and the key to unlock those feelings is a strong emotional bond.

While the rubik's cube is a great theoretical concept, it seems to focus too much on the wide range of unique attributes within the community and not enough on the main idea. I mean, it's kind of rhetorical.

However while I quite like the stripes, I can understand why others may not like them at all. Stripes are everywhere, it starts to get mundane and all the flags begin to muddy together. So! Unless this has already been suggested (I'm on mobile, it isn't easy navigating around, sorry! :c ) what about considering that the fleur be split vertically - one side black one side white - with a gray border, on a purple background? Or other options I can sketch up tonight and upload Smile

Or even make the fleur solid gray with a purple border? It certainly wouldn't be as busy as the current symbol and in effect would be easier to recreate
Alowishes
Alowishes

Back to top Go down

Post by Alowishes Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:04 pm

Halfling wrote:The image isn't made for being a new logo or whatever, it's just used to illustrate what could be done... I didn't remove any copyright written on the picture, which was downloadable so it can't be "copyrighted"... o_O Plus, it's not an art related picture (which would get an author right). It's like taking on internet a picture of a car and editing it to change its color and all, if it's not a personnal image or one of an artist, it doesn't get any copyright, does it ?!

Just because something can be downloaded, doesn't mean it isn't copyrighted. I'm not 100% sure about using the image of a Rubik's cube because the item is already iconic of the brand anyway. For example, if your logo contains... a box of tissues, no one would be able to determine (let alone prove) that the box of tissues is speficially Kleenex or Puffs, and thus you won't need to worry about running into legal issues. But because something like a Rubik's is only made by one company and is so iconic of that brand, there is little opportunity to try to put a spin on said icon/logo without it being recognized as a Rubik's cube.
Alowishes
Alowishes

Back to top Go down

Post by Aisling Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:46 pm

Alowishes' post
= accurate and the main source of concern here over the use of that image base.
Aisling
Aisling
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alowishes Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:36 am

Alowishes wrote:
However while I quite like the stripes, I can understand why others may not like them at all. Stripes are everywhere, it starts to get mundane and all the flags begin to muddy together. So! Unless this has already been suggested (I'm on mobile, it isn't easy navigating around, sorry! :c ) what about considering that the fleur be split vertically - one side black one side white - with a gray border, on a purple background? Or other options I can sketch up tonight and upload Smile

Or even make the fleur solid gray with a purple border? It certainly wouldn't be as busy as the current symbol and in effect would be easier to recreate

Ack Sad ran out of time tonight cleaning house before I go out of town for the day tomorrow, but! I did come up with an idea that could even work as logo specific to this forum Very Happy will update with designs as soon as I can. Patience is greatly appreciated!
Alowishes
Alowishes

Back to top Go down

Post by Aisling Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:38 am

No worries and no rush. The thread has been around for awhile. Smile
Aisling
Aisling
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alowishes Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:09 am

Haha Very Happy well, actually I couldn't sleep until I jotted these two down. (Has no patience personally)

For the community's consideration, I came up with this for the forum in specfic. "DG" gave a perfect opportunity I couldn't pass up and came up with this: www.glowstickminuet.tumblr.com/post/78088622296 this is super rough, but I thought if the fleur logo stays, this is a great way to be subtle yet specific for DG.

And here's what I suggested in my first post Smile a fleur split; black and white, with a purple border. The same can be applied to solid grey if that sounds more appealing. www.glowstickminuet.tumblr.com/post/78088924820

Pardon my excitement xD I design for a living so to at least participate even in a long-existing thread debate for a logo is a lot of fun!
Alowishes
Alowishes

Back to top Go down

Post by Aisling Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:15 am

Liking the cut of your jib here, 'Wishes. Smile The initials-based one is fantastic as a forum-specific logo, although likely the demi & grey-ace community won't see it as emblematic of the whole bunch.
Aisling
Aisling
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Halfling Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:31 am

I understand the notion of intellectual property but the picture I used isn't something to use for any logo or whatever, it was like a sketch to illustrate the idea, and nothing more. Besides, the tridimensionnal cube by itself, with different segments on it, isn't rubik's property. There are lots of other brands which make cubes like that. Check out the dayan cube for instance. So drawing a tridimensionnal cube wouldn't be in itself a problem. I don't get why you keep reacting as the picture would be used as an actual logo :/

Posting the modified picture here isn't something I'm try to get money from, or anything like that. Do you think a company like Rubik's would come here and claim for compensation.... I guess they've better things to do. But if you're unconfortable to let it posted here, you can put it away, it's your right as an admin here and I really don't care, as far I'm concerned ^^'.

Halfling
Conversationalist

Back to top Go down

Post by Aisling Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:54 pm

I don't get why you keep reacting as the picture would be used as an actual logo

Because that is the entire point of this thread, and you depicted the cube image as a potential logo for representing either the forum or the community as a whole.

Nobody was upset about you posting the pic; you're misunderstanding the discussion, if that is what you are assuming. We are simply clarifying that, nice image or not, it won't really be viable for use as a forum logo here.
Aisling
Aisling
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Halfling Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:02 am

Ok so in fact all of that was a misunderstanding : I didn't mean, at any moment, to use this picture (badly done, as I said it) as an actual logo. It was just a way to illustrate the idea of GrayJim since he wasn't able to draw it. I'm sorry if it wasn't clear enough in my posts Smile

Halfling
Conversationalist

Back to top Go down

Post by Aisling Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:16 am

Hey, no worries! It happens. Smile
Aisling
Aisling
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Storm Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:18 pm

I like it.

Beauty, strength, power, love, life, light.

Uncertain origins, unisex, ancient and traditional yet new and classicly stylized. Hotly debated and not totally understood clearly even by those who have studied it's origins.

To be honest. It sounds a lot like us.
Keep it, it looks great

Storm
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimitri Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:15 am

rainingsand wrote:The Fleur de Lis logo: keep, lose, change-to-what? - Page 3 Ace_um14
Something like this? I mean, probably more polished, but generally?

Yes! I approve of this.
When I first found this site I thought the fleur-de-lis symbol was cool, but not really approptiate? Makes me think about France all the time.. not so much about demi
And the AVEN triangle DOES have a holocaust vibe to it..

Dimitri
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum